If you want to start a new business in West Virginia then naming it is more crucial than you think. If you don’t know How to name your business in West Virginia? then follow along. Conducting a West Virginia business entity search is the most effective way of naming your business. Also small to medium startups can benefit a lot by forming an LLC in West Virginia. LLCs are easy to manage compared to corporations and it also has various tax benefits.
West Virginia Business Entity Search
Naming your new business in Virginia is a very important step to registering your business with the state. This is because you cannot use a name for your business that is already registered by another entity in the state. This is where business entity search comes in handy. It ensures that your selected business name is distinguishable from other businesses in the state. You can use the SOS website to perform the West Virginia business entity search.
West Virginia LLC Naming Guidelines
Every West Virginia LLC must be named under the following guidelines set by the Secretary of State.
- The name must include the term “limited liability company” or “limited company”. You can also use its short forms (LLC or LC). limited can be abbreviated as “Ltd.” and company can be abbreviated as “Co.”
- Your LLC name cannot have words that indicate other types of businesses such as a cooperative, incorporated, corporation, partnership, and so on.
- The name should not have any word which reflects that the LLC is organized for any purpose other than the one stated in the articles of organization.
- The name should not have the term banking or insurance if the business activity is not related to banking or insurance.
- Words like engineer or engineering may only be used if the business practice is about professional engineering and one of the principals is a registered engineer in West Virginia.
- Your name must be unique from other existing businesses in the state. For this, you must conduct a West Virginia business entity search on the West Virginia SOS business search page.
- The LLC name cannot include “911”
- The name cannot have words that could confuse your LLC with any state or federal government agency (West Virginia Police, FBI, treasury, state department, etc)
West Virginia Business Entity Search Method
Now that you know how a name search helps in finalizing your LLC name. Let’s talk about how to do a West Virginia Business Entity Search? The West Virginia Secretary of State business search page allows searching the organization name. Let’s see how to do it.
Search The Organization Name
- Go to the West Virginia SOS business search webpage and make a search for your desired business name.
- If the name is currently or formerly used by another entity in the state then it will be shown in the result along with its details as shown in the image below.
- If there is no business registered with your searched name then it will show “No results found”. This means you are free to use that name.
Reserve Your West Virginia LLC Name
If you are not ready to form your LLC even after performing the West Virginia business entity search, then you have an option to reserve the name. This is a really good way to secure a name until you are ready. File the West Virginia LLC name reservation application with the SOS. This will reserve your business name for 120 days. The cost for filing the same is $15.
Register Your West Virginia LLC Name
It is important to understand how choosing a name quickly can help you form your LLC faster. The name is crucial to all your filing processes. Hence a correct and available name is important and so we guided you with the naming guidelines earlier. Using the West Virginia secretary of state business search will ultimately help you register your LLC smoothly. To move ahead you will have to fill up the certificate of formation and submit it to the secretary of state.
Domain & Trademark
It is wise to choose your domain name same as your LLC name. This allows your customers to remember your domain name easily. In case the domain name is not available, then you might want to pick some other name that is very similar to your desired name. Remember the West Virginia business entity search will not help you to find your domain name. Trademark is a tool for any business that might help you to protect your business name, logo, or symbol. Trademarking your business name or logo would help you the most if you decide to expand in the future and take your business to another state.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the cost of forming an LLC in West Virginia?
The cost for filing the West Virginia Articles of Organization is $100. This document officially forms your LLC in West Virginia.
2. What is the cost of filing a trademark in West Virginia?
The cost of filing a West Virginia trademark is $50 per class. The validity for the trademark is 10 years.
3. What is the next step after selecting a West Virginia LLC name?
The next step would be to make the name yours by registering your LLC. This can be done by filling the West Virginia Articles of Organization.
4. For how long can I reserve a name for my LLC in West Virginia?
If you've selected a name through West Virginia business entity search but don't want to register your business immediately, then the West Virginia SOS allows you to reserve it for 120 days.
5. How much does it cost to reserve a business name in West Virginia?
The normal filing fee to reserve a business name in West Virginia is $15. However, you can also choose an expedited service by paying more.